Dire Straits is a band with worldwide popular star such as Mark Knopfler, and other ex-members from the band. Dire Straits has many fans all around in the world, and many musicians that were inspired by this band to start their careers.
Today, officially for Dire Straits Blog and our fans, we have interview that we made with Renato Kreisig. Over our Facebook Fan Page we communicated with him and he sent us a video where he played a song from Mark Knopfler “Song For Sonny Liston”. More about him and what he tells us about his story, you can read down below.
12 Questions with Renato Kreisig
1. DSBlog: Firstly we want to thank you for this exclusive interview for the Dire Straits Blog and thank the fans that will read this. We have 13 questions for you and about your work. Can you tell us something about yourself, who is Renato Kreisig?
Renato: My name is Renato Kreisig, I am 42 years old and I live in Brazil in a small town called Ijuí, in the south of the country, with my wife, two dogs, four turtles and six cats.
2. DSBlog: Are you a professional musician and do you have a music career?
Renato: I’m not a professional musician, although I’ve played in some rock bands in the 90’s. Playing guitar today is just my hobby.
3. DSBlog: What do you like to do in your spare time?
Renato: Besides playing guitar, I like to play videogames, read books and comic books, and spend time with my wife and dogs (we have a couple of pugs)!
4. DSBlog: We can see from the videos that you are a really good guitarist, when and where did you learn to play guitar?
Renato: I started when I was 15 years old, taking classes for about 2 years, and after that I started to try to figure things out by myself. It’s been a fun ride!
5. DSBlog: What kind of music do you like and who is your favorite music bands/artists?
Renato: I generally like classic rock, folk music, classical music, but I don’t like to be stuck to labels. My favorite bands are Dire Straits (of course), Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull.
6. DSBlog: About Dire Straits, when was the first time when you listened to song from them, which song was that and when was the first cover version that you made from Dire Straits?
Renato: I still remember! I opened the window of my house, and some neighbor was playing “Sultans of Swing” at a very loud volume. I stood there, mesmerized by that sound, and never before the sound of a guitar caught my attention. I think I was around 13 or 14 then. Then I decided that I just would have to learn to play that song. The first cover version that I made of a Dire Straits song was “Where do You Think You’re Going”. Used to love to play that tune on my acoustic guitar, and still do.
7. DSBlog: Which are your favorite classic songs from Dire Straits?
Renato: “Sultans of Swing”, “Down to the Waterline”, “Lady Writer”, “Once upon a Time in the West”, “In the Gallery”, “Money for Nothing”, there are so many…
8. DSBlog: How many cover versions of Dire Straits songs have you made?
Renato: Several versions, since I’ve been doing it for a long time. Unfortunately, some of them are lost, but I plan to record some new versions soon.
9. DSBlog: If you must choose one song from Dire Straits, which one?
Renato: Brothers in Arms. There is so much beauty in this song that even after all these years it still amazes me. The chord progression, the lyrics, the astonishing guitar solos. A true masterpiece.
10. DSBlog: Do you enjoy listening to music from Dire Straits?
Renato: Sure I do! And I also enjoy listening to the solo work of Mark Knopfler. Brilliant stuff!
11. DSBlog: What is your motto in life and what is that which motivates you to continue with good vibes and positive energy in life?
Renato: Life can be really hard sometimes. But I try to keep in mind this quote from Leonard Cohen: “Love is the only engine of survival”.
12. DSBlog: And for the end can you tell something to all fans who read the Dire Straits Blog?
Renato: Be curious! And try to learn something that worth your time! Like playing guitar, for example!