Giulio Cattarini is a guy from Italy, who is a big fan of Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler. He shows his passion of music with video covers on his YouTube channel. He has made more than 15 video covers in his own style of playing electric guitar and singing. We communicated with Giulio, and officially for all the fans of Dire Straits Blog he answered 10 questions. Enjoy in the videos of Giulio and read the interview. You can check all cover versions from Giulio here.
1. Tell us something about yourself, who is Giulio Cattarini?
My name is Giulio Cattarini, and I have always been a big fan of all kinds of music. But more than anything I love to play the guitar.
2. How old are you, where do you live and where are you from?
I am 40 years old and I was born in Italy. Currently I live in Italy in a town called Trieste (east of Venice) near to the Slovenian border.
3. From what age did you start to play the guitar and what was the first song that you learned to play?
Firstly I started to play guitar at the age of 10. I saw my father how he playing and I tried to imitate him. The first song that I learned to play on guitar was “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” by Bob Dylan.
4. Are you a professional musician and do you have a music career or band?
I am not a professional musician but I am a really big fan of music, and playing the guitar is my hobby. I try to make a good covers of songs closely as possible as I can. Many songs by Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler was my inspiration to start to improve my skills. Especially the song named “Child’s Heart”, also songs from Mark Knopfler gave me more influence on my hobby.
5. What kind of music do you like and who is your favorite music bands/artists?
Well, I like different styles and kinds of music but mainly Folk, Country, Pop and Rock and Roll. From artists I really like Simon & Garfunkel, Bob Dylan, Donovan, John Denver, Lonard Cohen and most of all Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler.
6. Which are your favourite songs from Dire Straits and maybe you have a favourite member from them?
My favorite songs from Dire Straits are: “Sultans of Swing”, “Tunel of Love”, “Telegraph Road” and “You and Your Friend”. From Mark I love the songs: “Boom Like That”, “Sailing to Philadelphia”, “What It Is”, and of course my idol is and always will be Mark Knopfler, there is no questions.
7. If you must choose one song from Dire Straits, which one?
It’s hard to choose one song by Dire Straits, but that would be definitely “Sultans of Swing”, because it is the song that best sums up their legendary style with clean and crystal sounds, and the end solo was absolutely incredible. One of the best solo in the world for me.
8. Do you enjoy listening to music from Dire Straits?
Yes I enjoy to listening music from Dire Straits, there are some songs that are very thoughtful and more exciting…others are carefree. There’s one for every existing state of mind.
9. What is your motto in life and what is that which motivates you to continue with good vibes and positive energy in life?
My motto in life is “be the change you want to see in the world” (Gandhi), because I believe deeply in the necessity to realize the good thoughts and act with the right actions that can have a strong effect on other propagation.
10. Can you tell us something for the end to all fans who read the Dire Straits Blog?
I follow Dire Straits Blog for long time and I consider that is very good blog, because is full of novelty and curiosity about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler. I see there’s a huge attendance of fans that makes more beautiful and interesting, so my advice is…Continue on this path!